Sunday, May 18, 2008

The Host by Stephenie Meyer

Okay, so I bought The Host this Saturday and started reading it around 10pm when my husband and I got home. Well, I finished it by 3pm Sunday. All I can say is I LOVE IT!!! I wasn't for sure if I would like it as much as the Twilight saga, but it is good!!! It's funny, but I didn't really like the Melanie/Jared relationship as much as I liked the Wanderer/Ian relationship. It was interesting. The book made me think though about the Indians. I thought about how they would be affected by the invasion. When I taught in Zuni, they have history of surviving on top of Dowe Yallane, and I was thinking to myself if they would be saved again. I also wondered what was up with making all the olive skinned toned people annoying or bad guys. Okay, I know that's a generalization, but hey, it's a first judgement kind of thing. I do have to say THANK YOU STEPHENIE for closing up some of the ends at the end of the book. I knew for sure that the book would end with Wanda be extricated from Melanie, but no, you tied up the ends. That was awesome. It was kinda funny that the action was kind of anti-climatic, but it was so interesting and plausible at the same time. I loved the themes of the humanity and violence and overwhelming love. It makes me think of what I say in class about people hate/fear what they don't know, understand, or what's different. I didn't like Melanie. I don't know why, or Lacey for that matter. Haha, I guess I'm getting like Meyer herself and am more interested in the non-humans, although, I must say, I loved Ian. His unchanging, unbending love for Wanderer is what kept me reading. I did get kind of ticked at her for not seeing it early, but she is just a soul unused to the ways of human. yeah yeah. What I didn't understand was why did Mel look for Sharon in Chicago by herself? I must've read toooo fast through that explanation. I'll probably have more thoughts on this when I read it again. I'll just have to wait till my sister finishes reading it. She'll probably buy her own though since I think she's hooked on this one.

Only 1 more week of school and then my seniors will graduate.

No comments: